What is Elasticity of Demand?
Elasticity of demand is a degree of change in the quantity demanded of a product in response to its determinants, such as the price of the product, price of substitutes, and income of consumers.
Table of Content
- 1 What is Elasticity of Demand?
- 2 Elasticity of Demand Definition
- 3 Types of Elasticity of Demand
- 3.1 Price Elasticity of Demand
- 3.2 Income Elasticity of Demand
- 3.3 Cross Elasticity of Demand
- 4 What is Elasticity of Supply?
- 5 Types of Elasticity of Supply
- 6 Determinants of Elasticity of Supply
- 7 Business Economics Tutorial
In economics, elasticity can be defined as the responsiveness of a variable (demand or supply) with respect to its various determinants.
Also Read: Price Elasticity of Demand
Elasticity of Demand Definition
The concept of elasticity was first introduced by Dr. Alfred Marshall, who is regarded as the major contributor of the theory of demand, in his book “Principles of Economics.”
According to him, “The elasticity (or responsiveness) of demand in a market is great or small according as the amount demanded increases much or little for a given fall in price, and diminishes much or little for a given rise in price.”
Elasticity of demand may be defined as the ratio of percentage change in demand to the percentage change in the priceLipsey
The elasticity of demand is the proportionate change of amount purchased in response to a small change in price, divided by the proportionate change in price.Mrs. Jone Robinson
The elasticity of demand may be defined as the percentage change in the quantity demanded which would result from one percent change in price.Prof. Boulding
Types of Elasticity of Demand
Economists have divided the elasticity of demand in three main categories. Three types of elasticity of demand is mentioned below:
Price Elasticity of Demand
Price elasticity of demand is a measure of a change in the quantity demanded of a product due to change in the price of the product in the market.
There are basically 5 types of price elasticity of demand:
- Perfectly Elastic Demand
- Perfectly Inelastic demand
- Relatively Elastic Demand
- Relatively Inelastic Demand
- Unitary Elastic Demand
Also Read: Types of Price Elasticity of Demand
- Relative Need for the Product
- Availability of Substitute Goods
- Impact of Income
- Time under Consideration
- Perishability of the Product
Also Read: Factors Affecting Price Elasticity of Demand
Importance of Price Elasticity of Demand
- Price determination under Monopoly
- Price discrimination
- Formulation of taxation policies
- International trade
- Formulation of agricultural policies
Also Read: Importance of Price Elasticity of Demand
In Income elasticity of demand, the responsiveness of demand to change in income.
Types of Income Elasticity of Demand
- Positive income elasticity of demand
- Negative income elasticity of demand
- Zero income elasticity of demand
Click on the below link to read it in detail.
Also Read: Income Elasticity of Demand
Factors Affecting Income Elasticity of Demand
Also Read: Types of Demand
Cross Elasticity of Demand
Cross elasticity of demand can be defined as a measure of a proportionate change in the demand for goods as a result of change in the price of related goods.
Types of Cross Elasticity of Demand
- Positive cross elasticity of demand
- Negative cross elasticity of demand
- Zero cross elasticity of demand
Also Read: Cross Elasticity of Demand
What is Elasticity of Supply?
The elasticity of supply is a measure of change in the quantity supplied of a product in response to a change in its price.
Types of Elasticity of Supply
- Perfectly elastic supply
- Perfectly Inelastic Supply
- Relatively Elastic Supply
- Relatively Inelastic Supply
- Unitary Elastic Supply
Determinants of Elasticity of Supply
Business Economics Tutorial
(Click on Topic to Read)
Go On, Share article with Friends