What is Written Communication?
In written communication, written signs or symbols are used to communicate. A written message may be published or hand written.
In written communication, a message can be transmitted via email, letter, report, memo, etc. The message, in written communication, is influenced by the vocabulary and grammar used, writing style, precision and clarity of the language used.
Table of Contents
Written communication is the most common form of communication being used in business. So, it is believed core among business skills. Memos, reports, bulletins, job descriptions, employee manuals, and electronic mail are the types of written communication used for internal communication.
For communicating with the external environment in writing, electronic mail, Internet Websites, letters, proposals, telegrams, faxes, postcards, contracts, advertisements, brochures, and news releases are used.
Characteristics of Written Communication
Written communication is a creative activity. It needs creative facts. The creative facts are produced by a human mind. The main characteristics of a written communication are as follows:
- Written or Recorded: Written communication is an effective process of transferring a message. The sender writes the message in the form of a letter, report, chart, diagram, questionnaire and passes to the receiver.
- Creative Activity: Written communication is a creative activity. All the creative activities are produced by the human mind.
- Human Activity: Human-being can write or explain an idea, opinion and information in written form. Therefore, written communication is a human activity.
- Language: Written communication can be expressed in a language. It may be Hindi, English, any code language, chart, figure etc. The selection of the language depends on the convenience of the sender and the receiver.
- Permanent Record: Written communication has proof of evidence. It provides a permanent record for a future reference.
- Legal Evidence: When the message is transferred through written communication, these are also used as legal evidence.
- Lengthy Process: The process of written communication is very lengthy. The message is transferred in this process through several channels. Therefore, it takes more time.
- Accuracy: Written messages are generally prepared in a peaceful environment. It is more effective for achieving future goals of an organization. Therefore, it is prepared by the sender with and accuracy.
Advantages of Written Communication
- Messages can be edited and revised many time before it is actually sent.
- Written communication provides a record for every message sent and can be saved for later study.
- A written message enables receiver to fully understand it and send suitable feedback.
Disadvantages of Written Communication
- Unlike oral communication, written communication doesn’t bring instant feedback.
- It takes more time in writing a message as compared to word of mouth and number of people struggles with their writing ability.
- Written communication does not take personal touch as such sentiments could not pass in the desired manner.
- Written communication is used with a view of complete information and explanations. The message becomes very lengthy and the receiver does not read the message carefully.
Purpose of Written Communication
Business letters are not in any way less vital than the blood circulation system in body when we talk and count it with reference to business activities. Needs for sending letter in business is felt for several purposes. Some of such purposes are as under.
- To widen contact scope: As already mentioned told, several parties are contacted in business and it is not possible to contact with all parties concerned. Thus, letters are the means that extend the scope of business activities to the desired extent.
- Building Goodwill: Letters contribute largely in building goodwill for a business and making friendly relations with concerned parties if these are written in influence manner. These act as an advertisement for building goodwill of the business concerned.
- Documentary Evidence: Letters may be filed before a court as written evidence in the form of a business contract. Letters bear the signature of the authorised person. Hence, letters act as evidence in the course of deciding on liabilities.
- Lasting Impression: As the letters are retained by the readers, these have a lasting impression on them. These are repeatedly read by readers unless a response is given. They are also remembered by them or make a niche for them in their memory.
- Provide information: In business, several parties communicate one another on a number of topics or matters. Business letters with information written on them make such transactions of information very easy. Hence, letters are the most important medium in view of providing information.
- Reference and Record: Everyone may agree that it is not possible to keep memory afresh every time in respect of the contracts executed, transaction made and the events taking place in the course of running the business. Letters, however, can easily be used as record for future references. These can use as a reference whenever such need is felt.
- Economic Communication: Communication through letters is always economic as no extra cost is incurred in this mode sending information from one place to another. It is cheaper than personal contact with the parties.
- Business Communication: “ K.K. Sinha, Golgotia Publishing Company.
- Dr K.C. Goyal, Dr Ummed Singh, Dr Kapil Dev, Business Communication.
- Essentials of Business Communication: Rajendra Pal, J.S Korlahalli, Sultan Chand & Sons.
Go On, Share & Help your Friend
Did we miss something in Business Communication Tutorial or You want something More? Come on! Tell us what you think about our post on Written Communication | Business Communication in the comments section and Share this post with your friends.
Geektonight team is putting a well-researched article. Geektonight is a vision to provide free and easy education to anyone on the Internet who wants to learn and grow in their career. We are working towards bringing the entire study routine of students on the Internet.
Want’s to learn and grow online. Message Now