Communication skills are indispensable for the successful future and career of a student. In today’s competitive world, communication skills in business are the most coveted quality of an educated person.
Reading, writing and listening cautiously are the three most important communication skills for students. These skills like most of the communication skills sounds too familiar as a result of which we take them for granted.
Table of Content
As regards reading and writing, the only thing that we require to tackle is to adjust with our growing age and concentration. With these two qualities, it is possible to develop reading, oral communication skills and writing skills.
Apart from reading and writing presentations, reports and speeches are a part of school curriculum. This has been introduced in schools and colleges for the all-round development of students. This makes expressive skills and managing skills also significant for a student.
It is also important to develop communication skills in relationships.
What grabs attention is that most of the students do not feel confident to make presentations and speeches. But recognizing the importance of these skills in modern day life, most good schools have made it a regular part of their curriculum. Here comes the role of expressive skills and managing skills.
Expressive skills are those which are used to express our feelings, thoughts and expressions and hence get our point across successfully to the listener. To gain expressive skills, students need to learn how to communicate effectively and get the full attention of the listeners.
Following this, management is an important part of a student life so development of management skills is also crucial to the success of the student.
Listening skills are also an important skill that should be taught to a student. Listening skills should not only be fixed to the classroom but also in a normal conversation. Students should be taught as how to give undivided attention to a person with whom a conversation is going on.
Also, students should be taught as to how to show the other person respect when the other person is speaking. Such etiquette is a part of conversation in every sphere of life, be it professional or personal.
Now that we have learned as to what specific communication skill a student must have, it is significant to learn how to develop communication skills in a student.
The first activity to develop communication skill in students is group activities. Instructors should conduct group activities not only in the classroom but also ask students to complete assignments in equally divided groups. Also the teacher should regularly change the groups so that there is more interaction among the students. This process helps a lot in the long run.
The following activity is to enhance communication skills for students. This is to put in the habit of active listening. For this, the teacher should incessantly read out something from newspapers magazines and other sources in order to ask questions from that. Also the teachers should make it a point to encourage active participation of the students.
By inculcating healthy feeling of competition and curiosity in students, it would become possible to develop communication skills for students. Following these tips, go ahead with confidence and put them into practice.
Importance of Communication Skills
Here are enlisted some reasons why communication skills are so important:
- Passes Information Along
- Makes Good Relationships
- Helps You Get What You Need
- Gives You Self-esteem
- Helps You to Think Better
- Makes Peaceful Communities
Passes Information Along
Good communication passes information along. If you can effectively communicate, then people realize you much better, and whatever information you are trying to tell them will get across without being misunderstood. In business, this can prevent mistakes from being made by people who thought you said something else. In personal life, it can help you to let others know what you want.
Makes Good Relationships
Good communication makes good relationships. If you can effectively communicate, then other people know what you need and want, and you can let them know your feelings without being misunderstood. This prevents controversies, especially between couples, because it avoids all that “you should have known how I felt” sort of mind-reading arguments. If you can explain your thoughts and feelings, then you won’t misunderstand each other.
Helps You Get What You Need
Good communication helps you get what you need. If you can effectively communicate what you need or want, you are more likely to be successful in getting it. Effective communication also helps you to win over others to agree with you in a persuasive setting.
Gives You Self-esteem
Good communication gives you self-esteem. People with effective communication skills are more confident, as they know that they can tell other people exactly what they need to, and they know that they understand those people better.
Helps You to Think Better
Good communication helps you to think better. In order to communicate effectively, you have to think ahead and organize your thoughts. This assists you learn how to organize, and how to plan ahead.
Makes Peaceful Communities
Good communication makes peaceful communities. If you can effectively communicate, then you can get along better with your neighbours – in your town or city, in your country, and in the world. Most wars are caused by people not communicating effectively and not being able to manage each other.
Things to Remember About Good Communication
Things to remember about good communication are:
- Communication is a two-way street. Good listening skills are piece of good communication; you need to realize what the other person is saying to you as well as to say what you want.
- Communication frequently includes non-verbal clues such as tone of voice, facial expression, gestures, and body posture. Good communication includes being observant and focusing on the other person.
- Communication is cooperation. Everybody has a right to have their own belief; just because you don’t agree with them is no reason not to listen.
- Communication skills are very significant as every day in our life we need to communicate with different kinds of people around us. And having good communication skills can improve our relationship with them.
- Also in every field, communication skill is very necessary to succeed. Good communicator always has the high paying position.
- If you can communicate well, you can determine whether or not you have understood what the teacher just said, and can then let the teacher know whether or not you need additional help. Communication is also vital to interactions between you and your peers; if you can convey well, you are less likely to use violence and get into difficulty.
- Recognition is one of the key elements of effective communication. Listeners can identify with what you are saying and with the way you are saying it. The power to communicate is the principal factor that distinguishes human beings from animals. And it is the ability to communicate well that differentiates one individual from another.
- Communication skills are unbelievably important, not only to students, but to everybody. CEOs of top companies have stated that the main things they look for when hiring new employees is how well they are able to communicate, according to several communications textbooks. Verbal communication is a large part of how you present yourself, and so having the appropriate skill set is beneficial in both your private and public lives.
- If someone is unable to communicate well, it does not matter how brilliant or talented they are. They will not be able to live up to their full potential if they cannot present themselves well and adequately express their ideas.
- Communication skill is essential because it usually makes or breaks your career.
- In work, communication skill is very important since you need to communicate with others and you need to deliver and get the right message.
- If you can’t communicate effectively, people won’t listen to what you have to say and you will have very limited career options.