Last Updated on1 min read
What is Upward Communication?
Communication which flows to a higher level in a company is known as upward communication. It gives feedback on how well the company is working.
The subordinates use upward communication to express their performances and problems to their superiors. The subordinates also use upward communication to tell how well they have understood the downward communication. It can also be used by the employees to share their ideas and opinions and also to take part in the process of decision-making.
Advantages of Upward Communication
The advantages of upward communication are as follows:
- Good Relations: Subordinates express their opinions in terms of upward communication. As a result, the harmonious relationship prevails between the superiors and subordinates.
- Providing Counsel: Subordinates can provide their constructive opinions to the superiors through upward communication. These opinions may be useful to the achievement of organisational goals.
- Favourable Organisational Environment: Upward communication enriches the relationship between subordinates and superiors. As a result organisation attains continuous development.
- Knowing Employee Attitude: Every organisation starts some welfare measures for the employees. If upward communication is active then management can know that how far employees are satisfied with the welfare activities.
- Feedback: Through such communication, the subordinates send back their reactions to the decision sent by the superiors. Thus upper-level management can ensure whether the lower-level employees have accepted the message sent by the superiors.
- Prompt Appreciation: Because of upward communication, subordinates get the opportunity to praise their boss for any positive or effective movement. This ultimately results in a cordial relationship between superiors and subordinates.
- Decision Making: Upper management wants to know specific information regarding production, procurement, marketing, financial matters and so on before making any decision. Subordinates supply the related information through upward communication and thus decision making is made easier and quicker.
- Development of Creativity: Upward communication calls for a creative environment to grow where employees show their initiatives for development.
- Motivation: Upward communication allows the lower-level staff to express their attitude or opinion to upper-level staff. As result subordinates are influenced to work more towards fulfilment to target.
- Development of Plan: Upper-level management can collect information from lower level management through upward communication. Information obtained from such communication can be used to develop and implement any plan.
Disadvantages of Upward Communication
There are many problems that you can see in upward communication.
Unlike downward communication, upward communication is devoid of any support of the managerial hierarchy.
It has to flow in a direction which is just opposite to the flow of official authority from the dependent subordinates to the superiors on whom they are reliant on or the satisfaction of their requirements. Consequently, there is a strong probability of upward information being distorted.
Geektonight team is putting a well-researched article. Geektonight is a vision to provide free and easy education to anyone on the Internet who wants to learn and grow in their career. We are working towards bringing the entire study routine of students on the Internet.
Want’s to contribute with us. Message Now