What is Performance Monitoring?
Performance monitoring may be defined as the process of appraising an environment of continuous learning and development. It will be done by maintaining the employee’s performance, enhancing individual competencies to make them more productive for the organization.
For successful business management, it requires the ongoing monitoring of performance in order to generate data by which to judge the success or otherwise of specific strategies.
Table of Contents
Process of Performance Monitoring
In this process, the manager observes managee performance through:
- Periodic written reports.
- Scheduled meetings.
- On-the-spot inspections, or field or site visits in case of managees whose location is different from that of the manager.
- Relevant and reliable information from other available sources.
In the entire course of the monitoring process, the manager provides feedback to the managees and asks for feedback from the managees during group or team meetings. They need to discuss common issues, problems, etc.
One-on-one meetings are conducted to discuss specific issues and problems encountered by individual managees.
The manager and the managee, thereafter, discuss corrective measures needed, actions to be taken by either or both of them. They are discussing regarding other help or support needed to accomplish the requisite tasks and goals.
Objectives of Performance Monitoring
Performance monitoring explicitly promotes the value that a manager and their managee accept as joint responsibility for monitoring progress on the tasks and goals agreed upon during the initial performance planningor expectation setting meeting and subsequent review meetings. The managers use instruments like written reports, review discussions and on-the-spot inspections to track:
- Timely and quality fulfillment of managing tasks and goals.
- Help and support legitimately needed by the managee’s tasks, including those agreed upon during planning and review meetings.
- To improve employee’s job performance as well as methods and techniques of measuring.
- Introducing the continuous learning and development process.
- Periodic reviews help the performance manager.
- It helps in correct planning assumptions and errors mid-course before it is too late.
- It monitors and encourages progress, and keep the work on track.
- It strengthens a dyadic relationship between the manager and the employee.
Importance of Performance Monitoring
Performance monitoring is important because:
- Performance monitoring provides scope for modification, change, and or alteration of the existing performance management system as per the outcomes measured in the process.
- It helps in reviewing and correcting performance objectives. Because it is linked to the mission and objectives of the organization.
- It identifies areas for competency improvement for the overall development of employees and the organization.
- It continually enhances the performance of employees and making them efficient.
- It helps in realizing the full potential of employees and organizations for excellence in performance.
Characteristics of Performance Monitoring
The progress in implementing the personal development plan can also be monitored during the year. The key characteristics of performance monitoring are given below:
- In organizations, a performance monitoring plan is a critical tool for planning, managing, and documenting data collection.
- It is an important part of a performance management system to control and measure the behaviors.
- This helps in maintaining the employees’ performance as per the goals and objectives of the organization.
- Performance monitoring helps in building strong relationships between the management and employees for their efficient performance.
- It facilitates the career development of employees and provides training and development opportunities to employees.
Some Monitoring and Mentoring Behaviours of the Manager are as follows:
- They are praising good performance.
- They help in faulting behavior without rejecting the person.
- They share feelings rather than pronouncing value judgments.
- They believe in demonstrating and demanding integrity in behavior and intent.
- Nurturing effective employees through continual reaffirmation of their worth to the organization.
Go On, Share & Help your Friend
Did we miss something in BCOM/BBA Study Material or You want something More? Come on! Tell us what you think about our post on Performance Monitoring Notes | PDF, Book, Syllabus | B Tech  in the comments section, and Share this post with your friends.