All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) and Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has launched M.Tech. Program in Defence Technology on July 8. [Source: PIB]
The course aims to impart necessary theoretical and experimental knowledge, skill and aptitude in various defence technology areas. Secretary Department of Defence R&D & Chairman DRDO Dr G Satheesh Reddy and Chairman AICTE Prof Anil D Sahasrabudhelaunched the program during a virtual event organised by AICTE, New Delhi on July 08, 2021.
Table of Content
- 1 Introduction to M. Tech. in Defence Technology
- 2 Need for M.Tech in Defence Technology
- 3 Program Objectives of M.Tech in Defence Technology
- 4 Program Outcomes of M.Tech in Defence Technology
- 5 Program Structure of M.Tech in Defence Technology
- 6 Eligibility criteria for M.Tech in Defence Technology
- 7 Guidelines for M.Tech in Defence Technology
Introduction to M. Tech. in Defence Technology
DRDO has been pursuing basic and applied research in collaboration with academia, since last six decades. DRDO has been funding the research projects through various mechanisms to engage academia under its Grant-in-Aid scheme.
In last five years, DRDO has given impetus to create Research Eco-system for Directed Research by establishing the Centres of Excellence within premier institutes and universities.
DRDO is continuously taking efforts towards expanding the research base by engaging faculties, researchers, scientists, start-ups and industries for developing targeted emerging and futuristic technologies to accelerate the technological self-reliance in defence and security of the nation.
DRDO has collaborated with AICTE for conducting the Regular M.Tech Course in Defence Technologies having 6 specialized streams and B.Tech (Elective Courses) in collaboration with All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE).
The M.Tech. courses would infuse interest in students and motivate them to pursue their career in research and development for defence and security to join defence, PSUs and private defence industries.
Need for M.Tech in Defence Technology
DRDO has established a very good connect with faculties and researchers of academia through research projects. So far the engineering education in the country do not have M.Tech courses, adapted to impart knowledge related to defence and security applications.
Defence Institute of Advanced Technology (DIAT) Pune, CME Pune and select institutes and industries have been mainly providing required specialized knowledge related to defence and security to the students and armed forces personnel.
The M.Tech. in defence technology courses has been designed to produce Post Graduates who will have the necessary theoretical & experimental knowledge, skill and aptitude in various defence technologies areas and pursue them to carry out R&D in defence.
The students will be provided valuable exposure & knowledge for various state of the art defence systems and contemporary technologies through class lectures & main thesis work. During the program, the students would be given valuable exposure by carrying out their main thesis work in DRDO labs, Defence PSUs & Private Defence Industries.
This collaborative effort of DRDO, AICTE and Industries will provide required knowledge to the students and create job opportunities for them. The academic-industry trained workforce will immensely contribute in realizing GOI vision of Atmanirbhar Bharat.
Program Objectives of M.Tech in Defence Technology
- To develop Post Graduates who have the necessary theoretical & experimental knowledge, skill and aptitude in defence technologies and systems and can get recruited in the various defence laboratories, defence public sector & private industries, ordnance factories and other similar sectors of the economy at national and international level.
- To contrive skilled manpower in the field of defence technologies.
- To enhance students‟ interaction with the senior, experienced manpower engaged in defence labs and defence industries and have real time knowledge / experience in the technology development, technology deployment and defence systems.
- To acquaint students for the needs of technologies related to defence & security of nation and to create zeal among
Program Outcomes of M.Tech in Defence Technology
|Acquire technical competence, comprehensive knowledge and understanding the methodologies and technologies associated with land, air & naval defence systems. Apply knowledge to identify, formulate and analyse complex engineering problems
|Scholarship of Knowledge
|Having an ability to apply knowledge of science, mathematics, engineering & technology for development of defence technologies.
|Having an ability to design a component, subsystem or a system applying all the relevant standards and with realistic constraints, including operational and environmental.
|Acquire the skills for uses of contemporary techniques, resources and modern engineering and IT tools
|Usages of Modern Techniques
|An ability to identify, investigate, understand and analyse complex problems, apply creativity, carry out research /investigation and development work to solve practical problems related to defence technological issues.
|Design, Development & Solutions
|Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written contexts in the form of technical papers, project reports, design documents and seminar presentations
|Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
|Individual &Team Work
Program Structure of M.Tech in Defence Technology
It is a 4 semester program with total 80 credits. It is having 6 specializations, as regard to the specializations, semester -1 will have common curriculum and semester 2 curriculum will be varied as per the specialization. Semester 3 & 4 includes dissertation and industrial training. The M.Tech. in Defence Technology will be having following specializations:
|Combat Vehicle Engineering
|Communication Systems & Sensors
|Directed Energy Technology
|High Energy Materials Technology
- Semester: 1 courses will be same for all specializations.
- Semester:2 courses will be as per the selected specialization.
Eligibility criteria for M.Tech in Defence Technology
Those who have pursued under graduation in following disciplines are eligible for taking up the M.Tech. Defence Technology courses:
- Aerospace Engineering
- Aeronautical engineering
- Applied Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Applied Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering
- Chemical Technology
- Chemical engineering
- Computer Science & Engineering
- Computer and Communication Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Computer Engineering and Applications
- Computer Networking
- Computer Science and Information Technology
- Computer Science and Technology
- Computer Technology
- Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Electrical and Instrumentation Engineering
- Electrical and Power Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Electronics engineering
- Electrical, Electronics and Power Engineering
- Electronics and Communication engineering
- Instrumentation engineering
- Electronics, Instrumentation and Control Engineering
- Electronics, Science and Engineering
- Electronics and Computer Engineering
- Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Electronics and Computer Science
- Electronics and Control Systems
- Electronics and Power Engineering
- Electronics and Telecommunication
- Electronics, Instruments and Control Engineering
- Electronics System Engineering
- Instrumentation and Electronics
- Instrumentation Engineering
- Marine Engineering
- Marine Technology
- Mechanical and Automation Engineering
- Mechatronics Engineering
- Mechanical engineering
- Metallurgical and Materials Engineering
- Military engineering
- Optics and Opto-electronics
- Power Electronics Engineering
- Radio, Physics and Electronics
- Software Engineering
- Structural Engineering
- Telecommunication Engineering
Guidelines for M.Tech in Defence Technology
- To begin the courses, it will be preferred to have institutes / universities in vicinity of DRDO/PSU/private defence industries for effective conduction of courses.
- Keeping in view the uniqueness of the courses of this program, each course can be conducted on sharing basis, the faculty(s) from prospective institute / university can share the course to be conducted with the superannuated / working scientists from the DRDO labs located in the vicinity of the institute.
On request by the institutions, the experts/ scientists for conducting the respective courses will be made available by DRDO lab provided that the prospective institution should plan the teaching assignment well in advance and communicate to the nearby DRDO lab for the meaningful. The institutes / university should cater for remuneration / funding to the mentioned lecturers for course activities as per university rules.
- The laboratory work mentioned in semester 1 & 2 can be held at respective DRDO labs / PSU/ private defence industries located in the vicinity on demand from the institution / university.
- There will be mentor from academic institute / university as well as from DRDO lab / Industries for conducting online/offline lab experiments.
- M. Tech. Project phase 1& 2 may be done in respective DRDO labs, DRDO established Center of Excellence, DIAT Pune, PSUs and private defence industries. As regard M.Tech dissertation based upon the topic of dissertation, the respective students will be placed appropriately to the various respective labs located all over countries.
- The model course structure has been provided for reference. The prospective institutions / universities can get it approved from the concerned bodies. Also the prospective institutions / universities may take approval of DRDO scientist to teach the courses on sharing basis.
- The prospective institution / universities can conduct the examination appropriately for theory, practical courses and dissertation. The dissertation examination can be conducted at DRDO lab as per the requirement of the dissertation topic, in case the developed product / system can not be taken out from the DRDO lab.
- The list of DRDO superannuated scientists along with contact details, willing to contribute for this program has been provided.
- Classes may be conducted online as well as offline as per need.