What is Transmission Modes?
Transmission mode refers to the process of transferring the data between two devices connected over a internet or network. It is also known as the communication mode. These mode associated with the flow of data in a particular direction.
Table of Contents
Type of Transmission mode
In a computer network, there are basically 3 type of transmission mode
- Simplex Mode
- Half duplex Mode
- Full-duplex Mode
1. In simplex mode (one-way street), the communication is unidirectional.
2. Only one of the two devices can communicate or send data and others can only receive it.
Simplex transmission Example
- Keyboard and traditional monitors. The keyboard can only take input; the monitor can only give output.
- TV broadcasting and radio station.
Half duplex Mode
- In half-duplex mode, each station can transmit and receive the data but one at a time. If one device is sending the data, other can only receive it and vice-versa.
- The entire capacity of the channel can be utilized for each direction.
- Generally used in cases where there is no need for communication in both directions at the same time.
Half duplex Example
A walkie-talkie is a classical example in which one person speaks and other listen. One message is transmitted at a time.
Full duplex Mode
In full-duplex mode (Two-way street), both the station can transmit and receive data at the same time.
- Sharing can occur in two ways: Either the link must contain two physically separate
- The capacity of the channel is divided between signals travelling in both directions.
Full duplex Example
The telephone network, where two people can talk and listen at the same time.
Go On, Tell Us What You Think!
Did we miss something? Come on! Tell us what you think about our article on Transmission Modes – Half Duplex and Full Duplex in the comments section.
- Introduction To Computer Networks
- Types of Network Topology
- Line Configuration in Computer Networks
- Transmission Modes in Computer Networks
- Transmission Mediums in Computer Networks
- Guided/Bounded Transmission Media
- Unguided/UnBounded Transmission Media
Geektonight team is putting a well-researched article. Geektonight is a vision to provide free and easy education to anyone on the Internet who wants to learn and grow in their career. We are working towards bringing the entire study routine of students on the Internet.
Want’s to learn and grow online. Message Now