What is Competency Mapping?
Competency Mapping is defined as the process of identifying the key competencies, which have the ability to do something efficiently & achieve the goals of the organization & make the organization successful.
Competency is defined as a skill/quality that helps the organization in job evaluation, training and recruitment.
Table of Contents
- 1 What is Competency Mapping?
- 2 Competency Mapping Process
- 3 Methods of Competency Mapping
- 4 Examples of Competency Mapping
- 5 Importance of Competency Mapping
- 6 Advantages of Competency Mapping
- 7 Disadvantages of Competency Mapping
- 8 Types of Competency Mapping
Competency Mapping Process
The process of competency mapping is as follows:-
To decide the competencies for the position they’re assigned to according to their ability & skill
Identifying the location in which the competencies need to work at the position in the organization structure, defining the relationships with the superiors & subordinates, etc.
To identify the tasks that need to be accomplished, & to identify the objectives of the function and the unit or the section where the position is located.
Methods of Competency Mapping
There are various methods of competency mapping are:
- Assessment Centre
- Critical Incidents technique
- Interview Techniques Competency Mapping
- Psychometric Tests
It is a certain function of identifying the skill & the potential for growth. It uses a few methods to evaluate employees for human resource and manpower purpose & decisions.
Critical Incidents technique
A process of systematically identifying the behaviours that contribute to the success or failure of the competencies in specific situations.
Interview Techniques Competency Mapping
Every organization has different techniques of interviewing the competencies as a part of competency mapping.
A certain technique that is followed by the organization that prepares a list of questions that the users would fill in a return.
The sole focus of psychometric assessment is that many organizations use as this part of the selection process, where there’s a natural wariness about the unknown.
Examples of Competency Mapping
- Job Evaluation
- Project Planning
- Performance Appraisal
- Success Planning
Importance of Competency Mapping
- For employees, it increases the awareness of existing skill, sets as well as skill gaps in the organization.
- To ensure that the employees are going in the right direction.
- To guide the competencies to increase their productivity.
- It’s an approach to build trust between the employees.
- Competency helps the employees to reach the organizational objectives.
- It avails to integrate management practices.
Advantages of Competency Mapping
- Aids the organizations to increase their standards of production and work style.
- Avails the organizations to align their key strategies across different departments to have common objectives and accurate results.
- It helps in understanding the scope & the requirements of a specific role.
- Establishes expectations for performance at different positions of the organizations.
- Forms an accurate work & job satisfaction for employees.
- Growth in the effectiveness of training & development as its main motive is to succeed with more efficiency.
Disadvantages of Competency Mapping
- It can be out of a date at times because of its inevitable change of pace in the organization.
- Sometimes, it’s of less use if the organizations don’t respond properly.
- No room for an individual to work in a field that would best make use of one’s own competencies.
- Can be difficult for employees to transform, few can be good at theory and few can be good at practices. If there is a change in the work of the competencies, the work can be less productive.
Types of Competency Mapping
Broadly, there are 4 types of competency Mapping:
The one who determines with intellectual ability to deal with the work of a certain individual, the certain work that deals with his/her intellectual skills.
Elements of Intellectual Competencies
- Analytical Ability
- Planning & Organizing
The one who determines to increase the level of motivation in an individual to ensure his/her works more efficiently.
Elements of Motivational Competency
- Continuous Learning
- Achievements Orientation
- Time Management
The one who determines individual’s emotional quotient to build self confidence & optimism in an individual.
Elements of Emotional Competency
- Managing Stress
The one who determines with social ability of a person that brings of inter-personal skills & team work.
Elements of Social Competency
- Customer Satisfaction
- Inter-personal Skills
Go On, Share & Help your Friend
Did we miss something in Organizational Behavior Tutorial or You want something More? Come on! Tell us what you think about our post on Competency Mapping | Example, Process, Method, Types, Importance, Advantage, Disadvantage | Organisational Behavior in the comments section and Share this post with your friends.
Postgraduate in M.B.A (H.R) – Professional Cricketer, singer and corporate HR. Have good knowledge about cricket, current affairs, general knowledge and Human Resource. When I’m not at work, I love to shares the knowledge through blogs.