Last Updated on2 min read
What is Competency Mapping?
Competency Mapping is defined as the process of identifying the key competencies, which have the ability to do something efficiently & achieve the goals of the organization & make the organization successful.
Competency is defined as a skill/quality that helps the organization in job evaluation, training and recruitment.
Table of Contents
- 1 What is Competency Mapping?
- 2 Competency Mapping Process
- 3 Methods of Competency Mapping
- 4 Examples of Competency Mapping
- 5 Importance of Competency Mapping
- 6 Advantages of Competency Mapping
- 7 Disadvantages of Competency Mapping
- 8 Types of Competency Mapping
Competency Mapping Process
The process of competency mapping is as follows:-
To decide the competencies for the position they’re assigned to according to their ability & skill
Identifying the location in which the competencies need to work at the position in the organization structure, defining the relationships with the superiors & subordinates, etc.
To identify the tasks that need to be accomplished, & to identify the objectives of the function and the unit or the section where the position is located.
Methods of Competency Mapping
There are various methods of competency mapping:
- Assessment Centre: It is a certain function of identifying the skill & the potential for growth. It uses a few methods to evaluate employees for human resource and manpower purpose & decisions.
- Critical Incidents technique: A process of systematically identifying the behaviours that contribute to the success or failure of the competencies in specific situations.
- Interview Techniques Competency Mapping: Every organization has different techniques of interviewing the competencies as a part of competency mapping.
- Questionnaire: A certain technique that is followed by the organization that prepares a list of questions that the users would fill in a return.
- Psychometric Tests: The sole focus of psychometric assessment is that many organizations use as this part of the selection process, where there’s a natural wariness about the unknown.
Examples of Competency Mapping
- Job Evaluation
- Project Planning
- Performance Appraisal
- Success Planning
Importance of Competency Mapping
- For employees, it increases the awareness of existing skill, sets as well as skill gaps in the organization.
- To ensure that the employees are going in the right direction.
- To guide the competencies to increase their productivity.
- It’s an approach to build trust between the employees.
- Competency helps the employees to reach the organizational objectives.
- It avails to integrate management practices.
Advantages of Competency Mapping
- Aids the organizations to increase their standards of production and work style.
- Avails the organizations to align their key strategies across different departments to have common objectives and accurate results.
- It helps in understanding the scope & the requirements of a specific role.
- Establishes expectations for performance at different positions of the organizations.
- Forms an accurate work & job satisfaction for employees.
- Growth in the effectiveness of training & development as its main motive is to succeed with more efficiency.
Disadvantages of Competency Mapping
- It can be out of a date at times because of its inevitable change of pace in the organization.
- Sometimes, it’s of less use if the organizations don’t respond properly.
- No room for an individual to work in a field that would best make use of one’s own competencies.
- Can be difficult for employees to transform, few can be good at theory and few can be good at practices. If there is a change in the work of the competencies, the work can be less productive.
Types of Competency Mapping
Broadly, there are 4 types of competency Mapping:
The one who determines with intellectual ability to deal with the work of a certain individual, the certain work that deals with his/her intellectual skills.
Elements of Intellectual Competencies
- Analytical Ability
- Planning & Organizing
The one who determines to increase the level of motivation in an individual to ensure his/her works more efficiently.
Elements of Motivational Competency
- Continuous Learning
- Achievements Orientation
- Time Management
The one who determines individual’s emotional quotient to build self confidence & optimism in an individual.
Elements of Emotional Competency
- Managing Stress
The one who determines with social ability of a person that brings of inter-personal skills & team work.
Elements of Social Competency
- Customer Satisfaction
- Inter-personal Skills
Go On, Share & Help your Friend
Did we miss something in Organizational Behavior Tutorial or You want something More? Come on! Tell us what you think about our post on Competency Mapping | Example, Process, Method, Types, Importance, Advantage, Disadvantage | Organisational Behavior in the comments section and Share this post with your friends.
Postgraduate in M.B.A (H.R) – Professional Cricketer, singer and corporate HR. Have good knowledge about cricket, current affairs, general knowledge and Human Resource. When I’m not at work, I love to shares the knowledge through blogs.