Last Updated on2 min read
There are 7 C of Communication which are relevant to both written as well as oral communication. These are as follows:
Table of Contents
In this article, we look at each of the 7 C of Communication, in detail:
The communication must be complete. It should convey all the facts required by the audience. The sender of the message must take into consideration the receiver’s mindset and convey the message accordingly.
Complete communication has following features:
- Complete communication develops and enhances the reputation of an organization.
- Moreover, they are cost saving as no crucial information is missing and no additional cost is incurred in conveying the extra message if the communication is complete.
- Complete communication always gives additional information wherever required. It leaves no questions in the mind of the receiver.
- Complete communication helps in better decision-making by the audience/readers/receivers of a message as they get all desired and crucial information.
- It persuades the audience.
Conciseness means communicating what you want to express in least possible words without forgoing the other C’s of communication. Conciseness is a requirement for effective communication.
Concise communication has following features:
- It is both time-saving as well as cost-saving.
- It underlines and highlights the main message as it avoids using excessive and needless words.
- Concise communication provides short and necessary message in limited words to the audience.
- Concise message is more likeable and comprehensible to the audience.
- Concise message is non-repetitive in nature.
Consideration implies “stepping into the shoes of others”. Effective communication must take the audience into consideration, i.e., the audience’s viewpoints, background, mindset, education level, etc. Make an effort to imagine your audience, their requirements, emotions as well as problems. Ensure that the self-respect of the audience is maintained and their emotions are not harmed. Alter your words in a message to suit the audience’s needs while making your message complete.
Features of kind communication are as follows:
- Emphasize on “you” approach.
- Empathize with the audience and display interest in the audience. This will stimulate a positive reaction from the audience.
- Show optimism towards your audience. Stress on “what is possible” rather than “what is impossible”. Lay stress on positive words such as jovial, committed, thanks, warm, healthy, help, etc.
Clarity implies stressing on a particular message or goal at a time, rather than trying to achieve too much at once.
Clarity in communication has following features:
- It makes understanding easier.
- Complete clarity of thoughts and ideas heightens the meaning of a message.
- Clear message makes use of exact, reserve and concrete words.
Concrete communication means being particular and clear rather than fuzzy and general. Concreteness strengthens confidence.
Concrete message has the following features:
- It is backed with specific facts and figures.
- It makes use of words that are clear and that build the reputation.
- Concrete messages are not misunderstood.
Courtesy in message entails the message should show the sender’s expression as well as should respect the receiver. The sender of the message should be sincerely polite, judicious, reflective and keen.
Courteous message has the following features:
- Courtesy means taking into consideration both viewpoints as well as feelings of the receiver of the message.
- Courteous message is positive and focused on the audience.
- It makes use of terms expressing respect for the receiver of a message.
- It is not at all biased.
Correctness in communication means that there are no grammatical errors in communication.
Correct communication has following features:
- The message is exact, correct and well-timed.
- If the communication is correct, it boosts up the confidence level.
- Correct message has a greater effect on the audience/readers.
- It checks for the preciseness and accuracy of facts and figures used in the message.
- It makes use of appropriate and correct language in the message.
All of us communicate every day. The better we communicate, the more credibility we’ll have with our clients, our boss, and our colleagues.
Use the 7 C of Communication as a checklist for all of your communication. By doing this, you’ll stay clear, concise, concrete, correct, coherent, complete, and courteous.
Go On, Tell Us What You Think!
Did we miss something in Business Communication Notes? Come on! Tell us what you think about our post on 7 C of Communication in the comments section and Share this post with your friends.
Geektonight team is putting a well-researched article. Geektonight is a vision to provide free and easy education to anyone on the Internet who wants to learn and grow in their career. We are working towards bringing the entire study routine of students on the Internet.
Want’s to learn and grow online. Message Now